Friday, April 15, 2005

who put the bullet hole in peggy's kitchen wall?...

The Cockburn music is freshly painted around me, and the ecstasy of watching the good guys beat up on the MFY's has faded a bit by the time I woke up from a nap at 1:30 a.m. I was going to go back to bed, but I figured hanging out for a while wouldn't be a bad thing, especially since it seems everyone has pussed out and gone to bed. Fuckers, don't you know how much fun the world can be when 99% of it is asleep? I mean, that may seem like a dumb question, after all, from looking around, it would seem that 99% in the people are asleep all of the time anyway, but i digress, and the hour is late. Plus, I got that 'itis.

I walked out my front door, and my nipples immediately said "Go back inside, or we are going to fucking fall off, it is cold out here." And that was the end of going out tonight. Now, I am not a cold weather person. I don't mind it, but I'm all about summer and, and warm winds and such, and plus, I'm sick of cold nights. (Take that anyway you want, though you could be misinterpreting...) Anyway, it will be warm soon, and that is bonzer, if you catch my drift.

I feel like there is something I am dancing around saying, but I don't know what it is. After meditating on the state of the state of CF, I came to the conclusion that despite a few areas of stress, I am getting better at keeping my perspective and lately, I have been getting close to enjoying life again. Suffice it to say that maybe now isn't the time for big changes. Why fuck with a good thing?

My recent Cockburn fascination...ah, the perils of the atheist that can't resist powerful song writing. Now, rest assured your faithful atheist will not be changing his mind, but I do take a lot of comfort in how Cockburn expresses his own faith, while at the same time managing to develop such a powerful voice in his songs. Shit, most of you will never know of whom I speak, and while it is occasionally distressing to not be able to talk Cockburn or Jim Morris with anyone, I get a great deal of joy from the music of both guys, plus a few others that just seem to speak more clearly than other writers. It is very few that I have ever heard that can be politically AND spiritually motivated and continue to keep a good story going. Go check out the song "Indian Wars" to see waht I mean. It is haunting and beautiful, like the beach at night, while at the same time saying something very fucked up about how cultures interact. That is amazing.

So, we all play with the same language, and the same words, some are just better equipped to transmit meaning and style than others. We are all attuned to different characteristics of speech, so what I find to be brilliance, you may well characterize as drivel, but all the same, there is no better teacher than finding someone with a good voice and something to say. In my not so humble opinion, that seems to be sorely lacking in the world, or at least seems that way. Damn do I need to get to a beach soon...

"I believe it's a sin to try and make things last forever
Everything that exists in time runs out of time some day
Got to let go of the things that keep you tethered
Take your place with grace and then be on your way"
(from "mighty tracks of midnight" by b. cockburn)
------------------------------
"Putting forth from dusted harbor towns,
Where the waves don't hit the beaches hard
Just set out to wander free from extremes
The fifty third member in this worldly deck of cards"
(from "53" by cf)
------------------------------

Is that everything I want to say? Not even close. But I got diarrhea of the mouth, and I'd hate to destroy the huge readership and legions of adoring Brown Couch fans, so....(pause for dramatic tension...) that is good for tonight. Besides, tomorrow, I may get to see belly dancers, and, aside from that, I may get a few more words down here and on other projects. Something to think about before a cigarette and some other fun...( the type of song that makes me feel better about the world)

"Evening sun slants across the road
Painting everything with gold
I'm headed for home, got a woman there
I can barely wait to hold
Got wind in my hair, got the heat inside
Heart jumping up and down
An empty head and a messed-up bed
I'll be floating just above the ground

Never had a lot of faith in human beings
But sometimes we manage to shine
Like a light on a hill beaming out to space
From somewhere hard to find

I ride and I shoot and I play guitar
And I like my life just fine
If you try to take one of these things from me
Then you're no friend of mine
Got a woman I love and she loves me
And we live on a piece of land
I never know quite how to measure these things
But I guess I'm a happy man"

("great big love" by b. cockburn)

cf

ps - ok, a little explanation. Much like the oft mentioned (and oft played!) "Egrets, No Regrets" song, I just like the peace of this tune. I don't share much in common with the narrator, except that it makes me think that happiness is whatever you want it to be, and that is damn comforting. Though to be honest, it is way more peaceful NOT to have a girlfriend than it is to have one, so I'm sure Bruce and I aren't quite on the same page...hahahaha. That, and he loves jesus, and I love the Red Sox. And, since it hasn't been said in quite a while.... Joe Henry Loves You Madly....

cf
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here