Friday, February 11, 2005

one more night beneath the Terligua sky...

Debating heavily on the merits of figuring out the technical details of my backup plan, should the good Universities scattered across the Southeast not see fit to let me in. (Lately, I am of two minds on this issue. On the one, I harbor some conceit about my ability to write. So not getting in would be a bit at odds with my idealization of self. On the other, well, maybe I'm not any good, and perhaps this is life trying to tell me to move in a new direction. I won't, but I suppose I'll be pretty much on my own as to writing, which is kind of like now. I shall persevere.)

I've been doing an incredible amount of sleeping of late. I think I am averaging about 12 hours, usually staying awake long enough to get homework and classes/work done, along with some pleasure writing and reading. Like Scott Kirby sings, "A full but empty life." Except it isn't really empty. I've never written more than I have been of late, and that is what I need to focus on, not all these distractions of life.

So, for the time being, I am Lebowskitizing my life. No worries, just school, work, writing, and of course, my little friend. Plus, I resolve to watch The Big Lebowski once every day until I have more fully absorbed his wisdom and the ability to ride out the strikes and gutters. (Check this shit out: You know how people always ay "You can't idolize movie characters, because they aren't real?" This line of thinking always bugged me, and I could never understand why. It finally hit me. Out of all the idols people make, movie and fictional characters are the best. They won't let you down. What you see, or read, is what you get. There is no disappointment, because the actions of the idol are limited by the exposition of the film! What could be better than a situation where no one can let you down or be anything other than what they are encased in celluloid or the printed word? This is stunningly hypocritical in some ways. If you can figure it out, I'll give you a cookie. Your choice of flavors.)

Well, guess I should be on to work as I am listening to Pat Green sing about Southbound I-35 for the 5th time and even "Moonshine and Indian Blood" is getting overplayed. Just kidding. Billy Joe Shaver is the shit. Have a good day one and all, the Dude abides....

cf

"we were southbound, 35
headed down the road
hit the border, by the morning
lettin' texas fill my soul"
(Pat Green)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Who Links Here